1.Superior Shopping Destination: Did you know that Plymouth offers the largest shopping centre in the South West outside Bristol, the very popular modern and undercover Drake Circus Shopping Centre. Catering to all, an array of independent shopping is also on offer at Plymouth, prime spots including The West End of Plymouth, Pannier Market and also Plymouth Barbican, offering a variety of boutique-style stores.
2. Gourmet Destination: Named ‘the UK’s new gourmet hotspot’ by Conde Nast Traveller Magazine, Plymouth offers an exciting, eclectic mix of restaurants to suit all tastes. Both exquisite fine dining and fun family dining choices are on offer, with high quality Westcountry produce being the core of many of the menus in the city. Plymouth also presents several top TV chefs, including Chris and James Tanner, who run the popular Barbican Kitchen Restaurant, Mitch Tonks who owns the popular seafood restaurant, Rockfish on Plymouth Barbican, and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall running the River Cottage Canteen and Deli at Royal William Yard.
3. An Event Destination. The lively city of Plymouth offers an incredible range of markets, festivals, shows, exhibitions and gigs as well as several large seasonal events. The city notably hosts the famous Plymouth Pirate Weekend and also British Firework Championships – considered the most spectacular firework display in the country.
4. Vibrant Arts and Culture Scene: Plymouth is known to be the cultural centre of Devon and Cornwall! The city boasts a range of frequent cultural events, art festivals and vintage and antique fairs offering a fantastic display of art, music, fashion, film and design! A vibrant theatre scene can also be found in Plymouth, including fantastic national touring productions.
5. Excellent Education Opportunities: Plymouth offers the highly regarded Plymouth University, awarded in 2012 a Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education. The city also presents the prestigious selective secondary schools, Devonport High School for Girls, Devonport High School for Boys and Plymouth High School for Girls – all less than four miles away, as well as a range of excellent primary schools.
6. Beaches Galore! You’re spoilt for choice when it comes to local beaches… some are even recognised for being the best in the UK! Plymouth’s closest beaches are Wembury and Bovisands, at just a 15-20 minute drive from the city centre. Even more stunning sandy beaches nearby include Bigbury-on Sea, Bantham, Challaborough and Thurlestone Beach.
7. The place to be for watersports: Sailing, surfing, scuba diving… are just a few of the great water sport activities on offer at Plymouth schools and clubs. Local dive centres offer exciting trips to wreck sites, including the HMS Scylla.
8. Leisure Opportunities: If you like to relax and keep fit in luxurious surroundings, a wide choice of spas and country clubs are within close distance. Plymouth offers world-ranking sporting facilities at the Plymouth Life Centre, where Olympic diver Tom Daley trained. Home to Plymouth Albion rugby team, the city further hosts many showcase sporting and cultural events, including the America’s Cup World Series. For lovers of the great outdoors, one of the country’s most stunning National Park’s, Dartmoor is on your doorstep, with superb opportunities for walking, horse riding, climbing and cycling.
9. A Green Haven: Plymouth benefits from having one of the most diverse and unique natural environments of any city in the country. The city enjoys a distinctive waterfront location and 40 percent of the city has actually been designated as green space, making Plymouth the Greenest city in the UK*. Not only that, but the city benefits from being surrounded by three Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty: a Marine Conservation Zone, a European Marine Site and Dartmoor National Park.
10. Excellent Travel Links: Plymouth is the perfect location for frequent travellers and jet setters, being easily accessible by road, rail, water and air. Did you know that you can sail by cruise-ferry to France and Spain from Plymouth? Regarding, air travel did you know that there are 3 airports within a very easy distance from Plymouth. These are Bristol, Exeter and Newquay.
If living in Looseleigh Lane Plymouth appeals to you, check out Notre Dame, our luxury collection of 4 and 5 bedroom executive residences.
*Source: Revealed: 100 fascinating facts you probably don’t know about Plymouth. Plymouth Herald. June 20 2014.